Former Law Enforcement Officer Faces Brighter Future After Minami Tamaki Helps Obtain Compensation for Medical Malpractice

Mark FongSenior counsel Mark Fong (left photo) and associate Seth Rosenberg (left bottom photo) obtained a $490,000 settlement on behalf of Frank S., a former law enforcement and security officer who suffered a stroke due to medical malpractice at the Colton, Calif., Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, which is run by the County of San Bernardino.

On January 31, 2007, Frank, then 35 years old, went to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center complaining of abdominal pain. He was admitted to the intensive care unit after being diagnosed with diabetic ketoacidosis, a condition that occurs when ketones build up in the blood faster than the body can expel them through urine.

A series of medical mishaps caused by the hospital staff involving improperly placed IVs catheters and wrongly administered injections, after which Frank suffered a stroke.

Seth RosenbergFranks’s left side is permanently damaged. He has reduced strength and sensation on his left side and little to no left-side stamina. Following his injury, Frank was on disability and will never be able to engage in employment that requires standing, walking or balancing.

These permanent injuries are even more limiting, as Frank was a long-time law enforcement and security professional, having served as a police officer and security officer. Prior to the accident, Frank had recently ended employment as a security officer and was interviewing for a job with the Riverside Community College Police Department.

As a result of his injuries, Frank may be able to hold a desk job, but is unable to use his left arm and hand for an extended period of time. He says that his settlement will help him to purchase a home, which will help provide financial security.

The settlement obtained by Fong and Rosenberg for Frank covered lost wages and pain and suffering. Because of laws protecting doctors and hospitals from malpractice suits in California, damages for pain and suffering in this case were capped at $250,000.